Recovering From an Electronics Fire in Your Home
Many house fires are caused by electronics as they become more prevalent in houses across the country. Since these electronics have become so commonplace for many people, we often forget basic safety habits that we should follow for these devices and how to keep our homes safe from the risks associated with electronics. Lacking safety may result in a house fire caused by electronics, and the recovery process can be tough for homeowners.
Guidelines to prevent electronics fires
All our gadgets need to be charged on a regular basis. Sometimes homeowners opt for convenience over safety but doing so may put your house at risk. Tablet and cell phone chargers need space for adequate air circulation, as they put off a fair amount of heat during charging cycles which must be dispersed with the right amount of ventilation, yet many people will put these chargers by their beds, or other flammable items. Electronics that are covered and not able to breathe can build up heat and lead to igniting a fire. The lithium-ion batteries in these devices have containers that are pressurized and can rupture if the temperature goes up too fast or melt if they are heated for a long time. Many people assume electronics fires are caused by bad chargers, but these fires can happen when devices are on a charger or not. Following basic safety rules can protect your home from a house fire. Fire damage in your Phoenix home from electronics is entirely avoidable with safety basics like keeping chargers clear of flammable items and allowing for sufficient air circulation.
If you experience an electronics fire at home
If you experience fire from an overheated cell phone, tablet, or other devices, there’s a lot of work to do once the flames are out. It’s best to leave the cleanup to the professionals at SERVPRO of Central Phoenix. We have the experience and training to know how to best clean up your home after a fire of any kind and understand the special challenges of fires caused by electronics.
Why are electronics fires so unique? Unlike burning wood or cloth, when electronics catch on fire, they release particles like those from burning plastics which become electrically charged. That means the particles can stick all over surfaces and can be a challenge to clean up effectively. At SERVPRO, we understand that because of ionization, cleaning up after an electronics fire takes special care to not only get rid of the smoke particles and get all surfaces clean again but to eliminate the pungent smell that accompanies burned plastics. Our highly trained technicians use advanced technology to clean your home, remove damaged electronics and devices, and tackle any odor issues to restore your home to pre-fire conditions. When a SERVPRO technician arrives on the scene, they’ll evaluate the damage situation and how best to clean it, providing you with a clear plan of action so you know exactly what to expect. We’re available 24/7 to help you recover from a fire caused by electronics.
If you experience an electronics fire, you can rest assured that your Phoenix home will be cleaned and restored by our staff thoroughly when you reach out to us at (602) 386-4268.