If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (602) 386-4268

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Humidity Can Cause Mold Damage in Your Home

1/10/2022 (Permalink)

Winter months can bring humidity, and that excess humidity can cause mold damage to form inside of the homes that are not adequately equipped to deal with it. Mold damage initially grows from mold spores that have been exposed to moisture. Most people assume that the solution is to try and completely rid your home of mold spores, so the humidity levels do not matter. However, it is impossible to completely remove all traces of spores from your home and mold spores actually exist everywhere! They are microscopic and impossible to see but there are there, even in the cleanest of homes. This is natural and not out of the ordinary. However, because of these ever-present spores, mold damage can occur if humidity exists.

Avoiding mold damage in your home

The best way to avoid mold damage from forming in your home is to ensure that the conditions it needs to thrive are never present. Unfortunately, situations happen that trigger growth and it is not uncommon for mold to begin to grow right under a homeowner's nose, often unnoticed until the problem is substantial (like unseen behind walls or ceilings). What is important is that you take steps to remedy the problem as soon as you discover the mold damage, instead of leaving the problem to only get worse. Mold damage should never be left as is in your home. Not only is it unsightly, but mold can also eat away at organic materials, such as the wooden framework of a house, and cause further damage.

What can cause mold to grow

Most people don’t maintain a humid home on purpose, but a small leak, unnoticed drip behind walls, or water seeping through a roof into an attic all provide enough humidity for mold to grow. Calling a professional cleanup and restoration company like SERVPRO is the best action you can take for your home. Our IICRC-certified techs can get to work addressing the situation. After investigating the mold in home, SERVPRO can determine the cause, address the issue, and stop the mold growth. Using come disinfectant and antifungal agents, we can spray and wipe the mold right off of your walls or other infected areas to stop the spread and future issues. Afterward, SERVPRO can use advanced equipment like dehumidifiers to lower the overall humidity in your home so that mold doesn't begin to regrow immediately. To fight potential musty odors, we can use air scrubbers equipped with HEPA filters to combat the musty odor mold damage causes. SERVPRO always aims to return your home to the state it was in before the damage began.

If you have mold in your home from humidity, work with SERVPRO

If you find musty mold damage inside of your home, get help as soon as possible. Use your phone and dial (602) 386-4268 to speak with a representative of SERVPRO of Central Phoenix. Day or night, our techs are always available.

Other News

View Recent Posts